Monday, April 23, 2012

DIY Nail Polish Rack Using Foam Board!


I love foam board, seriously, I love it. I decided to tack another DIY project and organize my nail polishes.

You might remember my last DIY storage solution with my nail polishes here, but it wasn't working for me. It was ugly, and if I wanted to root through all my polishes to pick up a colour, I would have the pull each one out because I was just getting a birds eye view - not the colour of the bottle.

After watching TheEasyDIY's make your own nail polish rack YT video here, I knew that it would be something I wanted to do, and I did!



No, they're not all mine. Most of them are my sisters. No, this isn't all of them either. I had to make a second one, but that doesn't look as pretty. One rack holds more than 100 bottles.

It was relatively simple, and it took about an hour, an hour and a half tops. I was planning on making a tutorial, but I ended up using 3 pieces of foam board in total - and that's mainly because I needed to make the two side trims, but my remaining foam board was not long enough. If you follow the tutorial I linked above (here), you can make one using just two pieces of foam board.

I was spectacle about where I was planning to put my racks, because I didn't want it "out in the open", with the risk of my polishes being exposed to the sun/heat and drying out. I wanted to store them somewhere in my closet, but I didn't want to "hide" them either. Right now, they're just lying against the wall on a small table in my room, so they don't have a permanent place yet.

I kept mine as is, but you can customize yours any way you'd like. You can paint them, glue decorative paper, add embelishments, anything!

I purchased my foam board at Micheals, where they retail for $4.99 a piece, but according to Jess @ TheEasyDIY, you can purchase foam board at Dollarama. I haven't seen foam board at my local Dollarama yet, but I did see someone walking the other day carrying foam board with the Dollarama $1.25 price sticker on it, so you can try searching there.

I love my new set up, and I found that I'm more likely to paint my nails because I see all of the colours I have.

This seems like a better option than those acrylic racks, and I think they look better too! Like I said, mine are just laying against the wall, and I'm not too sure if you can hang them/if they would be able to withstand the weight of the heavy glass bottles. My dad saw them and did asked if I wanted to hang them, but I'm not too sure how I would do that. I would expect you have to drill them into the wall to get a steady hold.

How do you store your polishes?

6 comments:

For The Fierce said...

LOL! I wish I could lie and say I ALWAYS EAT HEALTHY but I don't =(
Some days are better than others though. & omfg make me a nail polish rack! your so good at those DIY projects, I have no patience... lol

SheerBeauty (Kayla) said...

This is such a great idea, I might try this as I'm running out of room for my nail polishes lol

Saimese said...

I love how this can be a part of your rooms decor.. very pretty

Ioana-Carmen said...

Beautiful darling! What do u say about following each other? Kisses from Romania!

FashionSpot.ro

Gaby Fauchon said...

OMG I couldn't stand having so many nail polishes without going crazy as I keep giving some away ahah but I love those DIY ideas! Great work!

BTW, did you know that you could easily switch from captchas to comment moderation? Easier for your readers (:

Donna said...

i've seen these tutorials on youtube also! i didnt feel like making it so i asked my boyfriend and he just suggested a spice rack haha. i guess hes lazy too lol. anyway great job!! :)