Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Maybelline Color Tattoo e/s in Painted Purple

A few weeks ago I seen a new display of these Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo eyeshadows at my local Shoppers Drug Mart. They had a nice range of colours, and they were reasonably priced at $9.99 CDN. I swatched the tester and was pretty impressed that these cream eyeshadows were nicely pigmented.

I didn't pick them up because I wanted to read reviews and see swatches before I purchased anything. If you follow my blog, you know that I have oily eyelids, and cream eyeshadows can be a hit or miss for me. Also, I'm trying to get into the habit of researching and checking out reviews about products instead of purchasing things blindly and potentially throwing out money.

I was surprised to see that no one had mentioned anything about these. Google came up with zero results. I was pretty shocked because it's usually guaranteed that someone would have swatches or reviews about a new product. So I decied to skip and wait until I learned more about them.

Butttt.. everytime I walked into Shoppers, I was immediately drawn to the unique selection of colours and thought if anything, I could use it as liner or something, but luckily I was able to show some restraint. ;)

Finally, last week I walked into Shoppers and noticed that they were on sale for $8.00 CDN and thought, maybe that's a sign I should pick one up to try. I originally was drawn to the neutral shades but I decided to go for Painted Purple because I didn't have anything similar in my collection.

On a side note: I really wanted to pick up more than one to swatch for you guys (this is before all the reviews came out) but as much as I would love to do that, I know I probably wouldn't use certain shades often and I don't want to just hoard make-up just to swatch.





Name: Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24hr eyeshadow
Colour: Purple Passion
Packaging: Glass container with a plastic screw top lid, see-through bottom which allows you to see the colour.
Amount of Product: 14oz/4g
Price: $9.99 CDN *reflected on the regular retail price at Shoppers Drug Mart


This product has a nice creamy consistency which makes it easy to apply and blend. The colour I chose is nicely pigmented aswell. However, I did notice that it applies kind of patchy. It's not that noticable, but if you do want a solid wash of colour, you have to work a bit to blend and pat on the product to get an even application.

It's also really easy to build up the intensity of the colour, which I love because it makes the product really versatile.

Swatches:


This is one layer of product. If you enlarge the photo, you can see patchyness in the swiped swatch.



This is two layers of product, this time, instead of swiping on top of the first layer, I patted it to try and get an even wash, but you can see it is still a bit patchy.


This product is marketed as a long-wearing eyeshadow, but I liked to use it as a base under eyeshadow. However, I definitely think you can use this as a cream eyeshadow and do a wash and not have to worry about creasing or fading at all.

Here is a FOTD that I did using Purple Passion as a base under my eyeshadows:





USED:
UDPP (primer)
Maybelline Color Tattoo cream e/s in Purple Passion (as a base)
MAC Digit e/s (in the inner third of my lid)
MAC Parfait Amour e/s (middle of the lid)
Indigio e/s from the 88 Matte palette (in the crease)
MUFE No. 92 e/s (in the outer corner)
MAC Orb e/s (as highlight)
MAC Blacktrack fluidline
Maybelline Falsies mascara
MAC Night Maneuvers e/s (to fill in brows)

MAC Studio Fix powder in NC40
MAC On A Mission blush
MAC Harmony (to contour)

MAC Hug Me l/s



I did use a primer under this cream eyeshadow, but I wear a primer all the time regardless.

I was surprised when I came home 12+ hours later and my make-up looked just as good as it did when I first applied it. There was no oily/shinyness showing through or breaking down my make-up. I've never had that before, no matter what primer or base, or different combinations of primers and bases I use there is always is creasing/oilyness/shinyness on my eyelids sometimes a mere couple hours later after;

First Applied:





Twelve+ Hours Later:







You can see that my eyeshadows look just as intense as when I first applied them. There was a tiny bit of creasing, but noting noticable. There was no oilyness shining through either:



All in all, I was really impressed with this as a base, and I'm definitely looking forward to trying the other colours. These remind me of MAC paint pots, but for half the price. Like I mentioned, these were $9.99 (regular price) at Shoppers, and if you're Canadian, you know that Shoppers is on the more expensiver side, especially with cosmetics. I haven't looked at Wal-Mart (which I've read some people have found them at as well) but I'm sure it would probably be $1-$3 cheaper. Regardless, I wouldn't mind paying $9.99 for them.

I also want to mention, this is a prematue "review" since I've only worn this product once, but I'm planning on picking up a more neutral colour that I can use daily - if there are any changes or anything, I'll definitely keep you guys updated and let you know :)

5 comments:

AskMeWhats said...

wow, it creates a wonderful base for your eyeshadow and there's not much creasing or none at all? I have to look closer! :)

I haven't been buying paint pots lately as they dry out so fast !

D.Sadie (D.G.S.Beauty) said...

omg, I want! I keep hearing these great things about these.

Unknown said...

great review! i really want to pick some up to try

DJ said...

Very pretty! Your brows look good. I'm going to pick some of these up tomorrow!

Jennifer from Toronto - Spiced Beauty said...

It looks great!