Thursday, January 6, 2011

My 5 (or so..) Minute Face

Like most of you, sometimes I have those days where I don't want to spend a ton of time on my makeup and I just want to do something, quick and simple and put together and be out the door, basically, my "5 minute face."

The other day was one of those days, and after a half hour episode of Divorce Court, I realized my 5 minute face is not so 5 minutes..

Here's a breakdown of my make-up and what exactly my play-by-play is:

Step 1: Moisturized & Primed Face
Time Frame: 4 minutes

I use two different moisturizers, and two types of primers; one for my face and one for my eyes. In between applying them I let them sink in for a bit. I also take this time to pluck my eyebrows.


Step 2: Eyeliner
Time Frame: Approximately 3 minutes and up

Eyeliner is something that easily dresses up my eyes and makes me look more polished. If I'm in a rush and don't necessarily have the time to be precise, I use an angled liner brush and a matte black eyeshadow. It's quick and easy, and I don't have to worry much about taking my time and applying it perfectly. I just press the eyeshadow into my lashline and go!

Step 3: Under Eye Concealer
Time Frame: 1 minute

Concealing my under eye circles is another step that helps brighten up my face. I just use a flat concealer brush to apply my concealer, and then I use my ring finger to blend it out. Then I use a fluffy blending brush to set my concealer with powder.


Step 4: Mascara
Time Frame: Up to 3 minutes

The last step for my eyes is mascara. Mascara is my finishing touch and it helps to add a bit of definition and flare to my eyes. I like to take my time to apply and layer it.


Step 5: Eyebrows
Time Frame: About 4-5 minutes

I always get compliments on my brows, and they're my pride and joy (sometimes..) so I always take my time and fill them in. I only use an angled brush and an eyeshadow. I recently tried the whole "concealing around your eyebrows to make them look fresh" trick, but that takes wayyyyy to long, although I love the look it creates.


Step 6: Face & Blush
Time Frame: 5 minutes

My final step is face powder & blush. Powder isn't necessarily a necessity for me, but blush is. If I have the extra time I will highlight and what not, but most of the time I don't bother. Here I used MAC's Virgin Isle Cream Colour Base as a blush because I find it lasts long on me and is pretty pigmented.

I also don't bother with lip colour half of the time, because with winter and winds and commuting out in the cold it just is more of a hassle for me - so I just stick to lip balm.

Total time? 21 minutes. Yes, I double checked that.

How does it end up being that long? Well, I think it's because I like to take my time. I've mentioned this a million times before and I'll mention it again - makeup and applying it is tranquil for me, so I guess that's why I like taking my time. It's my stress reliever.

I've always seen girls post about their 5 minute looks and what not, and I realized that even my simplest, most minimal (well, by my standards) look still takes time.

Buttttttt, if I really only had 5 minutes to do my face? Mascara and blush. Boring, right? But, that wouldn't be a worth a post would it?! ;)

So, is your 5 minute makeup look really just 5 minutes? Or is it more like mine? Let me know, I'd love to know that I'm not the only one who can't really do their makeup in 5 minutes!

9 comments:

Toni Tralala said...

That's a big difference! I'm good with eyeliner and lip balm. I only apply makeup for nights out and meetings. :))

Ebru said...

You have such a gorgeous complexion! :) I guess I could do a 5 minute face by only wearing concealer, MSFN, blush and mascara...super fast of course! :)

Jennifer from Toronto - Spiced Beauty said...

woo! I love quick shoots!

Unknown said...

Your eyebrows are gorgeous! What do you use? :)

Cheryl♥ said...

I LOVE your eyebrows!!!!!

thomessa said...

Thats a good makeup routine. I see the difference and you look great! :)

Andee Layne said...

love it and your eyebrows are amazing!

Neeyuh said...

I'm the same way even if the look should just be something simple and quick it always takes me at least 15 minutes! If I did only have 5 minutes though it would probably only be mascara and lipgloss lol.

Christina said...

I love this post. I always laugh when I hear about a five minute face. It takes me that long to do one eyebrow! LOL, I totally agree that it is tranquil. I told my sister that putting on make-up is my morning meditation. Great Job!