Monday, November 8, 2010

In A Rut?

A lot of the time I'll go to get ready and end up sitting in front of my vanity staring blankly at all my eyeshadows trying to think of a creative combination. Ten percent of the time, I end up with something new, while the other ninety percent I end up frustrated because I can't think of anything, and end up doing a look I do all the time.

I came across this simple way to come up with different eyeshadow combinations and its really inspired me to come up with different and unique looks, so I thought I'd share this with you - because I know a lot of people go through the same "in-a-makeup-rut" phase every now and then.

Basically what I did, was I went through all my palettes and wrote down every single eyeshadow on a tiny slip of paper. I put all the slips of paper into a little jar (in my case, an empty q-tip holder). Whenever I have extra time to play around with make-up, or I'm in a rut, I'll pull out two or three of the slips of paper and create a look based on the eyeshadows that I pulled.

Easy, no?


An example of combination I pulled, I would do Deep Truth all over the lid, with Carbon in the outer corner/crease OR Carbon all over the lid, with Deep Truth in the crease, or as liner or on the lower lashline.

This combination is a little harder, but maybe All That Glitters all over the lid, with Nocturnelle in the outer corner/crease with Sweet & Punchy in the tearduct and lower lashline OR Sweet & Punchy all over the lid, Nocturnelle in the outer corner/crease, and All That Glitters to highlight.


It also helps me pull out some of the eyeshadows that I don't get a lot of use out of. Obviously, sometimes you'll pull a crazy combination that might not work, but that all goes with the process. I definitely find it helps pull me out of my "same-thing-over-and-over" phase.

This is just an idea for you guys to help utilize more of your collection, and also to inspire you to be more creative with your make-up!

Let me know if this works out for you, or if you do anything similar - I'd love to hear!

EDIT:

I also wanted to share this website. It lists TONS of combinations to use with specific MAC products.

If you aren't using MAC products, look up a MAC colour that is similar to the colour you have that you want to do a look with. It's a really great resource and there's literally thousands of different looks possible!

7 comments:

Niki said...

thanks for coming up with this, it's pretty creative and very helpful. :)

Ailah said...

This is a great idea! I always have that problem and can never think of new color combinations!

Thanks!

Gaby Fauchon said...

Thisa is really cool! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer from Toronto - Spiced Beauty said...

omg great idea!

Rhamnousia @ Desi Girl Does Makeup said...

Your writing is so nice!

This is a really good idea and something I should implement because I wear the same old taupey taupe shades nigh on every day.

Anonymous said...

wow thats a really good & creative idea that Im going to steal from you!! But Ive been in training almost all year & threw out all my old makeup & have to rebuild my makeup bag, so I dont have much to work with now, but I will in the future! AWESOME =D

www.californiabetty.blogspot.com

Julisa said...

i love this idea!
i've been stuck doing neutrals for soo long so i'll be trying this =]